Tuesday 4 August 2009

Day 4: Nantes - Angers


It's getting hot! Today, I registered 40 degrees (celsius) on my bike's handlebar, and tomorrow's forecast says 30 degrees in the shadows... I know I shouldn't complain, but when my body produces energy enough to keep me comfortably warm at 15-20 degrees, 30 becomes a lot.

Anyway, today has been the first day in wineland, and I've passed numerous vinyards and wineries on a rather short stage. I stopped by one of them, and wine labelled Anjou is a hot tip. Whether it is a grape or district, or both, is still unclear (the winefarmer claimed grape, while the place I had dinner claimed district/appelation) but it is absolutely something to investigate. Btw, I had lunch with a Dutch traveller today, and although Anjou wasn't among the things he mentioned, he introduced me to a strange concept; namely that Sancerre is known for its sweet white wines! I guess I have to check it out myself when I get there... ;-)

Foodwise, the speciality of Angers is a fish from the river, but only available upstream I skipped it in favour of some real meat - grilled on open fire as shown on the picture.

Angers is btw a nice place, and from my brief introductions I prefer Angers over Nantes. Nantes is just a little too big and noisy, whereas Angers has a more relaxed atmosphere - kind of like Vannes (yet Vannes benefit from the fresh air coming in from the sea). Lots of nice buildings here too, and even though I haven't really seen it (yet), the castle in Angers appeals more to me than the one in Nantes. Having said that, tomorrow may change my idea of castles, as I enter the "castleside" tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment